Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Virtues of Blogging

The author of the article Virtues of Blogging as Scholarly Activity points out the benefits of using blogs in his field as a University Professor.  His reasons for using blogs as much as he does is because of the "room for experimentation" and the "potential to connect to timely intelligent debate."  He discusses how useful blogs are.  Before blogs, professors were only able to publish their ideas in books or be on television to get their ideas out to the public.  However, with the help of blogs, they are able to communicate their ideas to many more people and much easier. 

I agree with the author in the fact that blogs do not work the same for everyone.  I cannot see me, as a future elementary teacher, using blogs in the same way as this University Professor does.  Though I may find a way to use a blog in my classroom, or to share ideas with fellow teachers, I will not use a blog in the same way this professor does.  I also agree that not everyone will benefit from using blogs.  There are other forms of media that may be more beneficial and can help in different jobs and situations.

One problem I could see with using blogs in a scholarly way is the lack of being able to prove the source is credible.  Books and scholarly journals are credible sources that can be used in a scholarly situation.  However, blogs are not the same.  Though information can be received by more people, the information may not be credible or seen as credible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment